By Lesley Ellen Mirza
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and wouldn’t you just love to wear a fabulous bold red lip on your romantic date?
If you think you can’t wear red lipstick, think again. Anyone can pull off a red lip, you just need the right shade that works well with your complexion.
“If you’re of a lighter or pale skin tone, you should stick with tones such as scarlet red or rose tones,” shares celebrity makeup artist AJ Crimson. “If you have a medium complexion, try to go a little brighter with a torch red, or even a ruby red lipstick. For a darker skin tone, you might want to go with a more medium tone because you can pull off darker reds. You should stay in the range of brick reds and burgundy tones, as well as cranberry.”
Our Valentine’s Day lipstick picks are:
Now that you know which red to wear, here are 4 tips that will keep your lips looking amazing and your lipstick staying on longer.
1. Exfoliate your lips prior to applying the lipstick. Try Smashbox‘s Emulsion Lip Exfoliant, or make your own with a a little brown sugar and olive oil.
2. Apply moisturizing lip balm. Our current fave is the Lise Watier Hydra S.O.S. Anti-Dryness Lip Balm.
3. Next, you want to apply a concealer to the lip to even out the skin tone and to create a base. This also helps to insure that the intensity of the lipstick will be even on the top and bottom lips.
4. You should then apply a lip liner, similar to the shade of lipstick you are using, this will give off the illusion of a plumper pouty lip. The liner will also prevent the lipstick from feathering or smearing.
5. Finally, apply the lipstick using a lip brush. This will help you smooth over any creases in the lip while using less product.
Now you’re ready for your big date!