Is this chilly winter weather drying your hair out? Well guess what … you have a couple of fabulous secret weapons to heal that dry hair right in your kitchen cupboard!
Olive oil and mayonnaise aren’t just great for cooking, they’re an excellent moisturizing treatment for your hair and scalp. Stylists Josh Rosebrook and Robear Landeros from LA-based salon, The Parlour on 3rd, very kindly provided us with these two tricks:
The Olive Oil Moisturizing Treatment
1. Take a 1/4 cup of olive oil and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Part your hair into four sections and apply the warm olive oil to your scalp, section by section. Make sure to work the olive oil from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
3. Put a plastic shower cap on your hair and let the olive oil work its magic for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the cap. Shampoo, condition, and style your hair as usual.
The Healthy Hair Mask
The easiest, cheapest, and most effective hair mask secret known to stylists is mayonnaise. Who would have thought? Mayo is composed of egg yolk, lemon juice and vinegar, which can strengthen and moisturize your hair. They recommend avoiding the commercial brands and choosing an organic brand for best results.
1. Take about a cup of mayonnaise.
2. Part your dry hair into four sections and apply the mayonnaise to your scalp, section by section. Make sure to work the mayonnaise from the scalp to the ends of your hair. Give it a good massage.
2. Place a shower cap over your hair after and let the mayo sit on your hair for about 30 minutes.
3. Remove the cap. Shampoo, condition, and style your hair as usual.
Voilà! Soft, shiny and healthy hair.